Sunday, February 21, 2010

Quote of the Week

While I was sitting at my desk the other day grading some essays in one of my iBT 2 Reading and Writing classes, I came across a sentence that made me laugh. Literally. At this point, I had the strong urge to save the quote so I could show it to someone else in the future. This has happened a number of times in my various classes before, either with something a student wrote or said, but I've never actually followed up on it.

So here I am, presenting the quote of the week from a student Kelly (since that’s her fake English name, I figure I’m preserving her anonymity enough). In essay about whether it’s better to learn a foreign language at home or in a native-speaking country abroad, Kelly wrote:

"However, if they visit to U.S.A. or other English-using country, may be the students can't understand lots of word, because they didn’t learn slang, joke or shorten word such as BFF (Best Friend Forever)."

And who said American culture never taught anyone anything?! Yeah. I’ll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment